History

Augsburg’s story began on January 28, 1892, when Caroline Lang, a resident of Baltimore, became aware of two children without parents or a place to live. Determined to help, Mrs. Lang expressed her concern for these children with friends from Martini Lutheran Church who had gathered in honor of her birthday. The idea for a church-sponsored refuge was well received and they immediately responded by collecting $3.00 to support the orphanage fund. Today, that very first $3.00 is affectionately known as the “Augsburg Acorn.”

The ministry quickly expanded its vision to care for seniors. After one year, Augsburg purchased its first building at 746 West Lexington Street in downtown Baltimore. In May of 1892, “The Ladies Society of Augsburg Home” was established. Early on, the ladies society was instrumental in providing funds for the children’s board and renovations of the newly purchased building.

It soon became clear that larger quarters were necessary to support the growing ministry. In 1921, the present 52-acre property on Campfield Road was purchased in Baltimore County. Subsequently, a new facility with a capacity for 35 adults and 60 children was dedicated on November 17, 1929.

Over the next few decades, Augsburg continued to grow. The nursing care wing and chapel were just two of the additions. In 1970, the care for orphans was discontinued. As a result, the children’s wing was remodeled to provide additional nursing care beds.

Augsburg experienced additional growth in the 1980’s with the addition of 61 apartments, more commonly known as the “Village.” Since then, three additional buildings have been added to increase the number of apartments to 138. Augsburg also opened its three-story Health Center, which offered skilled nursing, dining facilities, a new kitchen, and large activity room.

In the 1990’s, Augsburg introduced an adult day care program and assisted living program. The adult day care program was held off campus at St. Michael’s Lutheran Church in Perry Hall until 2007, when the program was sold.

Today, Augsburg has become a recognized leader in senior care. Augsburg’s culture change program and recently completed state-of-the-art health center is a model for the industry. With over a century of changes and growth, Augsburg has retained its original mission to care for others “as if they were the Lord Himself.”

Comments are closed.